As a kid I hated meat loaf. I mean despised on a level of hate I can not even begin to describe. So one day I was bored in the kitchen and figured what the hell let me see what I can come up with.
Now keep in mind any ingredient portions of guesstimates as I never measure anything. So here we go.
2 lbs ground beef.
1 cup Italian herb bread crumbs maybe more
chopped mushrooms as many as you like.
Garlic I buy the jars of crushed or chopped garlic. Use as much as you want as I know not everyone loves garlic as much as I do.
1/4 cup of any of the following. A-1, BBQ sauce any flavor, Sweet and sour marinade.
1 Egg
Dill weed. I don't measure I just use what ever looks like a good amount.
A small dash of crushed mint.
Throw it all in a bowl and mix with your hands. Yes use your hands. I know it feels disgusting but it really is the best way to do it. Once mixed up forget the bread pan this for the square Pyrex dish you rarely use because you don't know what to make in it.
Once you have it in there throw it in the oven at 375 for 40 minutes then remove and cover the top with a layer of one or a mixture of the following. A-1, BBQ sauce any flavor, Sweet and sour marinade. You want to try and use something with a thick consistency. Sy and Kristen shut up it's cooking you sick fucks.
Turn the oven to broil and put the loaf back in for about 10-15 minutes checking it every 5 minutes. When done you have something that is filling with small portions and is great for left overs if you are a family of 4.
Movie Whore Mash Potatoes
I recommend a mix of golden potatoes and red potatoes.
1/4 pound Cream Cheese
1 stick of butter
1/8 cup of crushed or chopped garlic
4-6 oz of shredded sharp cheddar
4-6 oz shredded Monterrey Jack
Do not peel the potatoes. Cut in half then 1/2 inch slices. Boil checking for tenderness.
While the potatoes are boiling throw the cream cheese butter and garlic into your mixing bowl and nuke until butter is melted.
Use electric hand mixer to whip to a creamy consistency.
Add potatoes and mix well.
Pull out your long Pyrex baking dish and spread potatoes evenly across the pan. Cover in cheese. Throw it in the oven just long enough to melt the cheese and serve.
This is a meal that will stick to your ribs and fill you tummy nicely. Also you may have a heart attack.
Keep in mind kids that I actually measure nothing. It is more like "That looks like enough" or "I think I need a little more."
I find it works for me. Then again I cook on instinct. You have to know what you like. You can modify this any way you wish. Have fun with it and let me know how it turns out.
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I don't really eat meat, so I probably won't try the meatloaf, but the potatoes sound great.
I really, really think you should turn this into a food blog. I love that you're a boy who cooks.
LOVE IT!!
Kristen, I am actually considering doing just that. I just signed on to write for Sy's new site as a contributor. I am on there as Divine Insanity. Check it out here.
http://www.disconnectedconsortium.com/
I am moving the crazy stuff over there. I find the name Divine Insanity fits nicely to the some of the crazy stuff I write but will also let me explore other aspects of the world around me. Go check it out.
I had a feeling the Divine Insanity guy was you. As soon as I read the name all I could hear was Han Solo talking about Luke having Delusions of Grandeur.
I will go check it out.
And yay!
Recipe Whore!
I'm going to get naked and roll around in your mashed potatoes.
Now that is a tasty dish I would eat. haha
You went there.
Post a Comment