
NFL fans today are getting their fill of "this just in" stories. Last might at midnight marks the beginning of free agency in the NFL. This is a crucial and exciting time for NFL fans who take more than a passing interest in the sport. I am one of those fantasy football playing NFL fans. It really takes my fandom of the sport to another level. You see to be good at fantasy football you really have to know the game and its players. This also creates a rabid, frothing at the mouth army of idiots such as myself that are desperate for any news about where players are going. This also means that my phone will be putting in overtime as I am feverishly sending text messages to to my friends.
My girlfriend understands that she will never understand this total involvement approach that I take with football and is quite happy that football is the only sport I follow. The poor woman was so upset when she realized that the regular season is only but part of my obsession. For me and some of the guys I hang out with, the off season is every bit as important. Watching teams fill needs through trades and free agent signings. Watching teams make bad trades or sign players to big contracts that make no sense. We praise the smart moves and tear the and ones apart while we go one and on about what we think should happen. After all we the self appointed experts.
I have already had about six text messages sent back and forth and one phone call and it's only 11 am and I did not get up until 10. It's that kind of party. While I know not many share my level of devotion to the NFL, I have always found it interesting that I can go on and on about high level intellectual arguments and then turn around and become so worked up over a game. To me ot makes sense. I don't just watch football, I study it.

No comments:
Post a Comment