Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"Southland Tales" Brilliant!


After I watched Donnie Darko, the second time, I wondered what would happen if a studio gave Richard Kelly a butt load of money. I got my answer. He made one of the most brilliant films I have seen in years. I purposefully did not look at this movie too hard before seeing it. I just saw Richard Kelly's name and knew it was a must see. For the first half hour or so of this movie I had to repeatedly hit the pause button as I was surprised by the cast of characters I was seeing. Dwayne "he is no longer the Rock" Johnson, Sean Willaim "holy cow he can actually act" Scott, Sarah Michelle "Oh my god she was actually good" Gellar, Justin "what do mean he can act" Timberlake, Will Sasso, Amy Poehler, Cheri Oteri, Christopher "Will Always be the Highlander" Lambert and just to make you say "What in the blue hell" John Lovitz and also John "What the hell happened to him" Laroquette " and of course Nora Dunn. There are a couple others that will shock you as well. The entire cast was brilliant with their parts. After watching the movie I of course watched the special features.

Kelly says he intended the movie to be satirical and funny. He wanted to show an alterante time line to what we know and at the same time show us where we are heading. the rest of the cast looked read the script and had no idea what the movie was about. Curtis "please quit calling me Booger" Armstrong tells a great story about it. He says " i got a call from my agent who was on the border of losing her mind after reading the script so I really wanted to read it. I read it and thought is good. I didn't understand it at all but I knew it was good."

This is one of those movies you may have to watch more than once to get but it is well worth every second. I bought it and I would recommend it to anyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely will check this movie out. I was a huge fan of Donnie Darko, and I just figure it wise to take your advice on movies.

The Movie Whore said...

As well you should my good man. I may watch a lot of crappy movies but that just makes me appreciate the truly great ones that much more.