Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Things I Know Nothing About

I know nothing about a lot of things. We all know a whole lot of nothing. When you add up what we don't know and compare it to what we do know the difference is staggering to say the least. What is this madman talking about now?

Quite simply it is that in life we do a lot of guess work and call it certainty. We are a supremely arrogant world. We are also supremely ignorant. Now to be ignorant just because you don't know is quite alright. Most of us fall into this category when it comes to a great many things. Now willful ignorance or refusing to learn about something that you know you know nothing about is just silly.

I write 3 different blogs. This one of course and one of the sites on my list of links has been gracious enough to allow me to contribute to their site and a lot of what I post there I post here as well. Laslty I write for a site that is sponsored by a local newspaper. What I think I know changes based on the forum in I choose to express myself in. I am an arrogant person. I admit it. I like to think that I have a great thought process and that I understand things better than most. Not that I know more but that I understand more. There is a difference. There is a good chance that I am wrong.

God is a topic that causes whack jobs from both sides of the argument to blow a fuse and go off on smear campaigns of one another because of what they think they know. However I have very recently come to the understanding that it is better try to understand others points of view and present ideas. I think an open discussion and sharing of ideas is preferred to to digging in your heals and attacking. When we limit what we will allow ourselves to be exposed to or limit what will allow ourselves to ponder we truly are only limiting our own potential for growth and understanding.

I am a Christian. I believe in God. I believe Jesus is the son of God and I have accepted him in my heart as my savior. Making those statements alone will make me a target for ridicule. People will make fun of it and call it laughable.

There is one thing in my faith that allows me to be open to other points of view and other explanations that do not include divine intervention. I don't know the exact words or the exact verse but in the bible it says what God has done will be explained. That he will make it known. It never says that he will come down and give us step by step answers. This is what allows me to look at what we discover in science and give it credibility. It also says that his ways are not ours to understand. That can be taken a variety of ways. I tend to take that as we just do not have the mental capacity to understand the nature of the universe which leads to the multitude of theories that are thrown around. I do not claim to have any of the answers nor do I claim to have some great understanding of the universe. I have ideas and I am willing to listen to the ideas of others.

I could go on typing this for the next 2 hours giving my thoughts and ideas. I could spend hours discussing these ideas and examining them. But in the end they are ideas, not fact, not absolute and inherently flawed. In closing I want to simply say please have ideas and forget about knowing anything and just examine everything. I guess I really do believe that wisdom comes from knowing that you know nothing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Aristotle sought out the Oracle at Delphi, he asked of Apollo's mouthpiece, "who is the wisest Greek who ever lived?" The Pythia simply replied that "none were wiser than Socrates." The reason being was his principle recognition that he knew nothing and that human acceptance of that one fact was the only path to wisdom.

The Oracle would approve of your mentality.

Jason said...

This is a great point, that you make here, because I am of a very similar mentality in that I am very arrogant about my ability to deduce and reason, yet am well aware of the fact that I know far less about a great many things than do other people.

Oh, and I am loving the Hitch Hiker's Guide reference on the About section. I too am seeking the question whose answer is 42. I guess that makes us no better than the mice, eh?

The Movie Whore said...

And it is a logical deduction. You will never as much as you don't know. There are so many ways to put it and it is really the one universal truth that can not be denied.

The Movie Whore said...

Always be the mouse looking for the eternal question whose answer will always be just out of your grasp.