
It's a good flick, that's what. So I posted "Why I am "The Movie Whore" over on Rusty Lime where I write occasionally. What I got was more than I ever expected. The site got an email request for me. What was that request, well it was from one of the guys in a movie called Duality. He wanted me to watch the flick and give them some feedback. Now I have to say I was impressed with myself. It was quite satisfying to have some one read that article and think that I actually might know what the hell I am talking about. Then ask for my input. I was all over it.
You can find Duality here. It is posted in broken up you tube clips but the movie is there and is complete. You may have to refresh the page after watching a few parts. I did not mind since I was taking notes for the film maker as I watched. Now before you watch it I want to acknowledge Dom Portalla, who wrote, directed, edited and filmed Duality. He did a great job all the way around with the script and the camera work and all on a budget of $7,000. Better than that he made a good movie.
So on with the review. Duality starts with Darrien getting the crap kicked out of him by a couple of thugs that think he is his twin brother Travis. A solid opening. I am purposefully going to be vague about the rest of the movie because I want you to watch it for yourself. But here is what you are going to find. Great dialog. I am betting Dom owns the Kevin Smith collection. There are references throughout the film to other movies that you would actually use in real life. Very real dialog for the most part. There is even one great reference that I am willing to bet most of you will miss. Unless you are a movie whore yourself that is.
Anyway we follow Darrien, Mason and Alex (Thugs) as they try to track down Darrien's brother Travis to work some things out or they all die. You see Travis told Gage (Drug dealer and generally crazy mad man) that he could double his money with $20,000 worth of coke (cocaine) and then disappeared. If they don't find Travis or the money and the drugs then people are going to die, namely them. Darrien is not a bad guy, maybe he drinks a little much from time to time but a good guy none the less. Alex is a douche bag. Every movie needs a douche bag and this one has Alex. With out him it would not be the same movie nor would it be as good. Mason is the good bad guy that is really a stand up guy working for the wrong mad man. You know the thug with a heart of gold. Travis is a douche bag as well but not has no real redeeming qualities. You almost hope he gets done in. No I am not going to tell you if he does.
There are a few other interesting characters that we meet along the way. During their search we get some good laughs and we get to know the trio and by the end you are really pulling for them. I would mention more of what happens but I really want you to watch this movie. Between ex girlfriends, mistaken identity, crazy small time drug lords and one tweaked out kid getting the ride of his life, you have a lot of fun.
I really did enjoy this movie. It had great dialog which is a must. The acting was good, especially by Ken who played Darrien/Travis. He did a great job playing two different people. It was actually Ken that had contacted me asking for my feedback. I am glad he did. I just got an email from Dom and Ken forwarded him my notes. Dom was quite pleased with my notes and in those notes I nit picked quite a bit but there was nothing in this movie that made me want to turn it off. Quite the opposite I wanted to see how it going to end. Dom did a great job of setting things up and moving the story along. Frankly the ending was absolutely brilliant and brought the movie full circle. Really it could not have ended better. Usually I have a problem with a lot of movies for the way they end it. Case in point No one should have survived AVP:Requiem.
I also encourage you to check out the Door Eleven Productions page. I watched a couple of the clips they have on there and one that stood out was Billboard America. Absolutely brilliant. Disturbing but brilliant.
All in all I recommend watching Duality and I am looking forward to seeing it again. Until the next time this the Movie Whore saying "please Eddy don't pull my ears."

6 comments:
Interesting! I noticed on the MySpace page there are a load of clips. I will have a gander when I get home from work!
Now. To work out if the letters I have to decipher are plyjfbhq because why wouldnt they be!
EDIT: Dammit. They werent. So I am now hoping amapb works!
Hey, that's pretty cool.
You really are a movie whore, aren't you?
Neat.
Sy, There are eleven clips and it is definitely worth the watch. Check out the Door Eleven productions page too. They have some more stuff on there that is good also.
Kristen, good lady I am THE Movie Whore. A title I sadly wear with pride. It's taken a life time of of devotion to the art of motion picture to get here and I will always love my movies. They really are a hobby for me. If only I could some one that would hire mer to be a movie critic or assist with in a studio as a script editor or something. I admit to lacking at at the initial creativity but I know how to punch it up and make it better.
themoviewhore.com appears to be an available domain. I think Jim it is time to take up your calling as the next big Internet celebrity.
Greg I would love to. I just have to work outt he money thing. I am still looking for a job and have been for about 2 months and I am waiting to hear back from last weeks interview. If I get this job first paycheck sets up themoviewhore.com In my whorishness I have come across another flick that I am downloading right now that I will be writing a review for either tonight or in the next couple days so stay tuned.
Oh and the film makers offered it as a free download. So I am not pirating it.
Post a Comment