Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Personal story teller

When I have trouble finding my center, I usually find myself worshiping at the altar of Kevin Smith.

Why?

He does personal well and has no problem baring himself through his films, in fact it his hobby and they paid him a few times for it. Genius. 

Anyway back to the good stuff now that I have removed my tongue from Kevin's asshole.

CLERKS is personal for him. Anyone that has ever been a clerk anywhere can relate to this movie on a personal level and will spend the rest of the night telling their friends stories after the first time they see this flick.

For me though, the most personal character, Holden McNeil/Banky Edwards hands down. I was those guys. You could ask my first wife and I bet first she would tell you she hopes I am dead and then she would say yes I was the two of them blended into one dude. I'm like to cover all the bases and choose when to behave well and when to behave badly and I love the latter.

What happens when that guy is staring at his 39th birth day in around 6 weeks, well...

...that guy is married. If he was too look for a character to identify with he would write one. He is working on it, one problem, the character keeps changing and evolving. That is what it means to be a husband and a father. Add in obsessed no budget film producer and general self proclaimed expert and things can get a little weird.

A good husband is not always a good father and a good father is not always a good husband. A good film producer is rarely good at the other two at the same time. However if you are doing it right you manage to be pretty good at  juggling, specially if you have a daughter.

You let yourself become whatever character they need that day, hour, minute, whatever they need when they need it and when you can muster it. We spend most of our time away from you trying to find ways to be your hero and have it be real and not some bullshit charade.

I understand why a lot of guys drink and have ways to get the fuck out of the house from time to time. It is a tough job and it goes completely unnoticed if you are doing it right and it is all they bitch about when you fuck it up. Any man who tells you his family is not his greatest treasure, well that dude has no family or no soul.

I will take the single dude over the soulless dude any day.

I guess the character I personally identify with the most, Tony Stark. I got the skills and the tools and why should I hide it and why does it piss everyone off when I flaunt it. Oh did I mention the narcissist part of me that never went away. I am a salesman these days in my getting paid life so it goes with that character. I hide very little from family, but what I do try to hide is the times their hero falls and needs to be picked back up. This group, they do a damn good job, it's why I work so hard to be their hero.

Now that we are here at the end, if I was to really be honest and get personal and bare my dirty little secrets, I would say these days I would identify much closer to the THE MOVIE HERO with Jeremy Sisto then any other.

All hail the movie gods, I hope they find this shit entertaining. 

Til the next time I get bored and have the time to kill,

C-Ya!

No comments: