Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Science fiction and the end of the world

Scifi movies have been pontificating the end of the world since we started making movies. Hell since we started telling stories we have been telling stories of where we began and how it ends on a regular.

We have a fascination with the the alpha and omega, the end and the beginning.

We are living in the middle or maybe we are at the end of a beginning or the beginning of the end, but where ever we are we should not forget that sometimes movies can teach us some valuable lessons about what things to avoid in the future. Here are some of those lessons.

Do not let the machine think.

I could grab random clips, but come one now. Here's a good starting list of movies that illustrate this wonderfully.

War Games
Terminator
Matrix

Two of these spawned sequels, So I think we can agree that a thinking machine is bad.

WELL THAN SOMEONE TELL THESE FUCKERS!

Then there are the films that deal with the absence of food and water.

Road Warrior
Tank Girl
Ice Pirates
Soylent Green (oh yeah, it's people alright.)

Then realize that corporations are trying to privatize water. Look at Monsanto, how long before we find out they using dead bodies to grow shit.

It could be illness mental and physical.

Andromeda Strain
Resident Evil
Equlibrium
Pick a zombie flick

Then realize the most fucked up shit on this planet was created in a lab to kill somebody in a war. Oh how evolved we are.

It could be aliens.

Alien
War of the Worlds
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Puppet Masters
Stargate
 Contact
Last Starfighter

I always dug these angles. I mean humans being the only ones out here or the most evolved just seems, well I am not sure if it is more fucking ignorant or more fucking arrogant or completely fucking ignorant and arrogant and a reason to consider population control. 

Was that harsh?

Fuck it, this is my show not yours.

And this is where our show ends for this episode. Come back next time when I write something else.


No comments: