Let's take a look at one of my favorite films from the 90's. I will come back to this topic from time to time. Let's just say I like to make the ADHD work for me.
Let's start with my #2 90's flick from my list on Flickchart, SWIMMING WITH SHARKS.
I am obsessed with film and making films. Obsessed is putting it lightly. It would be more accurate to say I am so consumed by desire to be making movies, I sit here and write about them while helping people you have never heard of make movies you really have to look for to find.
SWIMMING WITH SHARKS is not about that kind of work. It is however a brilliantly dark look into the world of the film studio.
This is one of those films that I will watch any time. I never get tired of it. Here is why.
Kevin Spacey is one of the more gifted actors I have ever seen, forget generation. His performance as a Sr VP at film studio who is nothing short of the one of the most tyrannical bosses I have ever seen, is flawless as usual for this incredibly gifted artist. Let's say I'm glad I did have to deal with this guy in basic training. He makes my T.I's look like pussycats.
As a personal assistant to one of the most powerful men in Hollywood your, life is not your own. You become a slave to your boss.
His new intern is portrayed by the ever underrated Frank Whaley. This is an early film for him and he shines as the lackey who gets repeatedly kicked in the teeth by a boss who will tell you Tuesday is Wednesday and you better agree and then he will verbally bitch slap you for agreeing. (Oh and if anyone catches the other film reference in the last sentence, you poor soul.) While trying to please the unpleasable boss he is also an aspiring writer (I know it's cliche bit go with it they did a great job.) and trying to maintain a love life with a woman who has bigger balls than he does.
The film starts where it ends. Our plucky hero has had enough of later night script retrievals, finding bimbos for the boss to boff and other abuse. He has shown up to torture him for the night. While torturing his boss we get a series of flashbacks to explain why this poor wretched soul has taken to this desperate action.
When the film ends you may be surprised by the direction they took, but if you really stop and think about it you may see that it was the only way to be brutally honest and make an impact with the story. It is this punch in the chest kind of impact that the film starts with and hits you with repeatedly, almost daring you to think that some one may have or is currently enduring such a thing.
The performances in this film reach in and grab you and pull you into the story. You experience it. Very few films achieve this level of connection with an audience. SWIMMING WITH SHARKS is not just one of my favorite films, it is damn good example of storytelling and all my ramblings about story and character.
Telling a story using this flashback perspective can be difficult to pull off as it can leave the audience feeling disjointed and disconnected from the story. Director George Huang does a masterful job of overcoming this obstacle as the story unfolds seamlessly. Think of it as phrasing in musical terms. Every scene fits and every piece of dialog goes toward the progression of understanding the characters and progressing their stories and blending them together into a singular story that takes you by the balls and does not let go until it is over.
It is billed as a dark comedy and I would say that fits. It is dark, but then again ask anyone who has ever tried to make film or has ever made a film if the industry is light or dark and I would be willing to bet they would say that Lucifer himself is at the helm.
Well kids this The Movie Whore saying "Go watch this movie now motherfuckers!"
C-Ya

No comments:
Post a Comment