Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The cinematic view of the artist






I would imagine film makers everywhere could identify with the above sentiment.

A few years ago I wrote a piece that has been lost. I called it LIFE IS NOT A MOVIE and then proceeded to write about how cinematic parts of my life were at the time. I think it is this view of life through a camera that inspires some of the greatest artistic films. It is what drives the artist.

When you see the art of life how can you not bring that life to your art?

It is not just in film that this plays out. think of any artistic endeavor you saw through to the end.

Did you not feel as though you were bringing something to life or bring out something of life in your creation?

My favorite script to pimp is THE SUICIDE FLOWERS. The reason I believe in this story so much is becasue Pete Conrad absolutely captures what I am talking about here. This story is a personal one for Pete and it is one I think would resonate with any artist.

The story follows Rae Messiah, lead sing for the band Aluminum Jesus, as he's on the downside of a once brilliant career. He's a mess. Sex, drugs and rock and roll is his steady diet for life and it's bringing his life to a crossroads. He pushes at every one as he desperately claws to hang on to the fame that had sustained his ego driven life for so long. He's killing himself to stay in the limelight, killing himself to live.

What's a suicide flower?

Ever see the flowers in the cracks of the sidewalk. Think about it. This thing is doing everything to live only to be crushed more often than not by some one not paying attention to the fact that it's even there.

Rae meets a fan dying from cancer. That fan was once one of his best friends, but fame and fortune and a career on the road had left them out of touch. During this time Rae has some powerful personal realizations. He comes to terms with the way he has behaved towards so many, including his wife. He realizes he has been killing himself to live one more day in the spotlight and that this endless pursuit for fading glory has cost him something even more rewarding, the feeling of belonging to a family.

Ever bent on keeping his star burning bright, he had ignored and abused those around him. He never saw the love and support he had. This story touches so many on a personal level, including me.

How many of us have put everything into achieving our own ideas of success that we ignored the people that love us the most and doing it all the while telling them we are doing it for them.

If you haven't, then you're not human. THE SUICIDE FLOWERS is a human story, with human characters and it reaches in and touches your humanity and makes you stop to think about the true value of your life. At least it did for me and I believe, I truly believe this film could be this kind of wake up call and inspiration for so many.

It's why I've been a broken record to anyone who would listen. I've talked about this film and will talk about this film til the day Pete and I figure out how to get it made. I believe in it that much. Some say that makes me a fool. I say it makes me a dreamer and I'm not the only one. Thanks John.

One of the magical qualities of film is the ability to take life and capture it and bring it home and touch you in a personal way. This script has already done that for me.

No comments: