Let me put it this way, I added it to Flickchart and it went straight to number 15.
How do I even begin to gush like a schoolgirl over this film?
My panties were wet the entire time.
I have seen very few examples of a filmmaker reaching down within himself and showing more courage and more focus in delivering not just a message but a character and a story that made that message make sense.
I almost shut the movie off very close to the beginning. There is a scene that is not just merely brutal, but holy fuck shit brutal. Look at it this way, I laugh through most of A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, I thought parts of KALIFORNIA were funny as hell and it's parts you shouldn't find funny. My point is this, I am a sick fuck, I admit it I have something wrong with my wiring for some of the things I find entertaining in film. However this scene even made me go "What the holy fuck is going on here?!"
I am glad I kept going and I am glad Bobcat Goldthwait has the biggest brass balls I have seen on a film maker since IN BRUGES.
From there the film got better and better.
If you are expecting a shit ton of action, this is not your film. If you want a character driven story with some fucked up yet very fucking cool action scenes, then pull up a comfy place to sit and enjoy the ride.
This is a complete film.
Example
One of the things my wife and I talked about and she noticed it first, was the way the camera was used to capture and draw out emotion in a scene. Cinematography can help you tell your story. Bradley Stonesifer did an incredible job of using the camera to bring depth to the story.
Joel Murray is fucking awesome. He made this character real in a way that you feel as you go through the film. You can't help but identify with him and admire him. He is the part of you that kicks you in the ass every time you let it slide because well everybody else is doing it.
He is so honest in his portrayal of a man who feel like so many of us do.
What I really want to get into though is how brilliantly he delivered some of the most brilliant dialog I have ever heard. When Frank gets into the why I am going around killing people, pay attention.
Bobcat found a way to channel the frustrations of every father I know when he looks at his little girl and then looks out at the world. My daughter is 14 and my son is 8 and Bobcat just channeled me into this film.
This is an important film. I will rarely ever say that a film is important, most aren't. Most are distractions from the real world, this film is reminder that the real world has become a distraction and its time to wake up and take it back.
I dare you to watch this film and not have it make you feel guilty, even just a little bit. Even I had my moments in this film where I said, hey wait a minute don't kill me and instead of getting pissed at Bobcat, I though about it and the man is right. I would say dude, but it takes a man to make a film like this and stand behind it and show it to the world that needs to see it but will most likely hate it.
Instead of dogging on Bobcat, I admire his courage and integrity. He could of made it softer, he could looked at the backlash that might come from it and let that fear drive his film. Instead he made the film he wanted to make and I am damn glad he did and I command you to go watch it as soon as you can. The Move Whore has spoken.
Have a nice day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment