After all mine is a life wasted on film.
Saturday and Sunday were the days for catching old movies in syndication. Living in a smaller town and not a big city, the channel options are limited.
Back in the day it was all about KBHK 44 out of San Francisco. When I was a kid, at 10:00 am was the start of Chiller Diller theater and classic monster movies such as Godzilla (All of them), Dracula Vs Billy the Kid, The Mummy and many others. After that, who knows. I did spend many a Saturday watching films such as, Saturn 3, Soylent Green, Logan's Run, Planet of the Apes (all of them) and others. I was 8 the first time I saw Soylent Green, quite the concept for an 8 year old mind to absorb, same with a lot of the high concept stuff I used to watch as a kid.
It is probably why even now I will watch something that makes you think, just so I can relax. During the week at school I was grabbing books on martial arts history and even read Bruce Lee's book in the 4th grade. It was reading the book that drove me to watch any and every martial arts movie I could get my hands on.
I remember the Ninja movies that hit the states and all of a sudden on Saturday, my monsters were replaced with kung fu and I loved it. I find bad kung fu movies to be some of the more entertaining flicks for brain melting and playing my favorite game. I love to play MST3K, hell I was playing it before I had heard of it. Go ahead and look it up, I'll wait.
Are you back yet?
Good, let's continue.
As I was growing older what was coming on during the weekends was changing as well. We started getting syndicated TV shows such as, Small Wonder, My Secret Identity, Out of this World, She's the Sheriff and others and gone were my movies. I watched so many movies as a kid becasue well, there was nothing else to watch. This is when HBO became my best friend.
When the guide would come in the mail I would sit and plan out my movie watching for the month. I knew what I wanted to watch and when it was going to be on and how many times. I loved the days when it seemed that I wanted to see everything they were running that day. Those were magic days for a kid of 12. These weekends got filled with films such as Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Grease, Xanadu, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (I don,t care if I missed one or added one.), Cannonball Run and others.
Then came USA and TBS. We had Up All Night with Rhonda Shear and the worst horror movies most people would never sit through and every single one of us got sick and fucking tired of watching Beastmaster on the weekends. Didn't that dude do V? Actually if you want to see a brilliant piece of work from Marc Singer, watch IF YOU COULD SEE WHAT I HEAR. I am not exaggerating, his performance is incredible. Go watch it now.
I actually watched Sorority Babes at the Slimbowlarama because I was 14 and I thought I might see a nipple. At 14 that is a reason to do anything, anything. At 38, well depends on who is home.
I say I waste my life on film, but really for me it the only place a lonely kid who didn't have anyone to talk to could find a few friends and it is where I keep finding them even to this day. Movies are my best friends always have been. Do you expect anything less from The Movie Whore, I mean really?
Saturday, July 20, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment